Make your health a priority and follow through on your weight loss and fitness goals.
1. Be realistic. Set attainable goals. The formula for failure is setting goals that are unrealistic. Set small goals that you can achieve and feel good about.
2. Plan ahead. Make sure you plan your healthy meals and snacks in advance. Take what you need with you for the day so that you set yourself up for success. Put your exercise plan into your schedule to help ensure that you will follow through.
3. Reward yourself. Celebrate your success with rewards. I recommend that these are not food rewards. Examples might be treating yourself to a movie, or purchasing a small gift for yourself if you attain your goals that week.
4. Don’t be so hard on yourself. Take one meal at a time and one day at a time. If you do not eat well at a given meal, try harder the next meal. Learn to forgive yourself and move on. Do the best you can each day.
5. Get support. Losing weight and getting fit is not easy. Do not be ashamed of reaching out for help. Registered Dietitians RD’s) and Certified Specialists CNS’s) are the food and nutrition experts that can help you formulate a food plan that will fit your food preferences and take your lifestyle into account.
6. Increase your hydration. Drinking water throughout the day is one of the most important things you can do for your health. Caffeinated beverages are dehydrating. Start slowly and gradually increase your fluid intake so that your body can get accustomed to the fluid change.
7. Increase your physical activity. Incorporate exercise into your schedule. If you need motivation and guidance, hire a personal trainer. Skip and Chris are waiting for you at our center! If your feet hurt, book an Orthotics Evaluation with Dr. Brian, DC using our 3D scanning technology.
8. Reduce stress. Stress can lead to mindless overeating. Manage your stress. Find ways to relax. Try one of our Reiki or Meditation classes at our center. After the class, treat yourself to a Massage with Webby or Greg. Ear acupuncture with Chris is another wonderful stress management remedy which will help you manage your stress and reduce cravings at the same time.
9. Read labels and be mindful of portion sizes. Turn that package over and read the label. Be aware of what the proper serving is for your nutritional needs. Confused? Take a weight loss class at our center and we will teach you how to increase your awareness of what you can eat.
10. Keep a food and activity journal or use a fitness app. By recording what you are putting in your mouth as well as your activity level, you will become more aware of what you need to improve. One of our personal favorites is MyFitnessPal. Are you getting too much Fat? Sodium? Carbohydrates? Calories? If you cannot figure it out, book an appointment with one of our Registered Dietitians/Certified Nutrition Specialists today.